Monday, March 22, 2010

Beer Review, Founders KBS

So, I'm sitting at home, minding my own business, when I get a Facebook message from Jacob at Radio Maria.

kbs on tap
I texted him back, "when?"

He responds "3 minutes, after I get the line cleaned".

Suddenly, my Saturday is ruined.



I was just going to sit there playing Evony, and then I HAD to go downtown to have a beer. Life is horrible.

So, I get up, shave, take a shower, put on my Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout shirt and begrudgingly head downtown.

To make matters worse, the RM parking lot is relatively empty, and I got to park in the closest spot. How am I going to burn off the calories from a KBS by parking close to the door. OH THE HUMANITY!!!

So, I go in, and sit down. Jacob asks what I want. I reply sarcastically, "what do you think?" So he pours me a KBS. He says I'm the second person to try it from this keg. I snidely reply "yeah, but the first in a Kentucky Breakfast Stout shirt".

Since I'm drinking this beer, I figure I might as well write about it.

It was black, pitch black. It had a brown head. It was opaque. At Radio it's served in a 9 ounce snifter for $5. It smelled strongly of coffee. It didn't seem to have much of a bourbon-y smell. It was thick and coaty. The beer itself was cold, but very warming. Almost as though I developed heartburn as I was drinking it. It definitely had a burn going down. There was also some effervescent sizzle to it.

It tasted of coffee, alcohol, syrup and bitter chocolate. It was an odd chocolate flavor, almost like a bitter cocoa powder. As it warmed up, it developed a bit of whiskey flavor. The cold definitely muted that flavor.

My notes say "wow, awesome, damn fine beverage". This beer burns and warms. Also it sticks on the lips. It's thick and awesome.

According to Jacob, the Radio keg is the only one in CU. I'm not sure how long this will last. Hopefully the Salsa Night crowd didn't drink it all and there's some left.

At $5 it's reasonably priced for 9 ounces. It comes out to about 55 cents per ounce. At Friar Tucks the beer is available in 4 packs. It's about $23 for four 12 ounce bottles. Or about $5.75 a bottle. At that price, it's about 48 cents an ounce. The draft may not be cheaper than buying a bottle, but it's pretty close.

If you can find it on tap, get it, it's great. If you can get it in bottles, enjoy that as well. If you don't like it, I'll finish it for you.

No comments: