Monday, June 9, 2008

Days of the Beer, June 9

The beer for today is Coal Porter, by Atlantic Brewing Company. On June 9, 1891, Cole Porter was born.

Cole Porter was an American composer and songwriter. He wrote several comedies including Anything Goes. He also wrote the songs "I Get a Kick out of You", and "I've got You Under My Skin".

According to the Atlantic Brewing Company website.

Coal Porter
A superb porter, hearty & dark. This one is a staff favorite, made with pale, crystal, Munich, chocolate, and black malts. The darker malts give Coal its color and rich flavor. We use Target and Willamette hops to yield a very subtle hop flavor in this porter.

We cellar this beer for close to six months before releasing it on the thirsty throngs of fans.

ABV 5.8%

From the song "I Get a Kick out of You".

I get no kick from champagne
Mere alcohol doesnt thrill me at all
So tell me why should it be true
That I get a kick out of you

You'll note he doesn't mention not getting a kick out of beer anywhere in the song.

I had an Atlantic Brewing Company Coal Porter on August 2 of last year. I have no distinct memories of the beer, other than I know it wasn't horrible.

(Not my picture)

No comments: