Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Beer Review, New Glarus Unplugged Imperial Weizen



Last night, after winning at softball and going to Hooters to celebrate, went home and cracked open a New Glarus Unplugged Imperial Weizen. I served it up in my Goose Island 312 glass.

The beer poured an orange yellow that was very cloudy and had a firm head. It smelled of citrus peel (not necessarily orange, or lemon... just an amalgamation of all citrus peels) with some pepper and clove in the nose. It felt very thick for a wheat, but then, it's named "Imperial" so the thickness could be expected.

It tasted of citrus peel, maybe a little spice. I didn't get any banana, like some other reviews did. This didn't remind me at all of a Weizen (I had expected German style weizen), however it seemed very Belgian (damn, I'm a moron, it's New Glarus) wheat-y. But then I wouldn't call it Weizen, possibly wit, maybe belgian strong? The beer reminded me of La Fin du Monde, or maybe Duvel. It finished very tart, almost attacking the back sides of the tongue.

I'm not a fan of those beers, so I don't think I'd search out this beer again. It's not the beer for me; one was enough. But if you like those beers, you'll probably love this one.

No comments: