Saturday, September 6, 2008

Beer Reviews, Nils Oscar Kalasöl; New Glarus Smoke on the Porter

Last night, had two beers that were new to me, the first was New Glarus Unplugged Smoke on the Porter.

This beer was outstanding. It poured dark brown, and looked porter-y. It had light brown foam, that clung around for a while. It smelled like cooking bratwurst on the grill. It felt thick, from the bubbles, but not effervescent (the bubbles didn't pop). It was really kinda thick. It tasted smokey, and meaty.

It was a great beer, really good with a cheese quesadilla.

The second beer was Nils Oscar Kalasöl. This beer poured amber to light brown. It had a decent head that was clingy. It smelled of toasted malt, with maybe a little soap.

It felt thin and fizzy, and tasted spiced, with some vegetable. It was soapy, malty, salty and birrery and tart.

I didn't really enjoy this beer, it wasn't for me. The more I drank it the more I liked it, but it still wasn't the one for me. I could probably enjoy it after a 6 pack, but I don't have that kind of time.

Here's what the brewer has to say:

This beer has its orgin in the Bavarian beer type 'festbier' or 'oktoberfestbier'. Like 'festbier' and 'vienna style beer', Nils Oscar Kalasöl is of a somewhat darker type. The Nils Oscar kalasöl is produced with both münchenermalt, dark caramelmalt, chocolatmalt and some roasted barley. The choice of hops is a mix of four kinds where the most characteristic are brittish fuggles, american cascade and czech saaz.

It´s a rounded beer with a mildly roasted breadish character. It can be recommended together with heavy foods. like joints of roast meat, spicy stews and broiled meat.

Oddly, I was thinking vienna lager. Of the two (or four review today) I think the New Glarus was my favorite. I hate to grade beers, because that's so much on perspective, but the Smoke on the Porter was way better than the others.

The NG I got from Jay. The Nils Oscar I got from West Lakeview Liquor. The last two, I got at Crane Alley.

No comments: