Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Beer Review, Weyerbacher Hops Infusion

After work, got my haircut and headed home. While waiting for Kriddy to arrive, I had a Weyerbacher Hops Infusion India Pale Ale.

Weyerbacher seems to do everything right. This IPA is no different. I'm a huge mark for Weyerbacher. I have a bottle of the QUAD, and Old Heathen sitting in the fridge waiting for me.

This one poured a dark amber, there was light foam that dissipated down into several bubble patches. This IPA stuck to the glass. It smelled piney, floral and like grass, there was lots of hops. It felt rather thick (or did I just want it to be viscous?; it may have been some of both).

It tasted of hops. Just hops. Like drinking hop juice. It was resiny, and pine sappy. I thought Kriddy would say it tastes like a forest, but she said it was just a tree. When it hit the back of the tongue, it was HUGELY bitter.

This was a very complex beer for being as loaded with hops as it was. It finished differently with every drink. A quick sip was front of the tongue sweet; if you just sucked it in and down rapidly. If you left it for a long savor, it turned terribly bitter. It was GREAT!

Here's what Weyerbacher has to say about it.

Hops Infusion is loaded with piney, citrusy notes, much hops complexity, and a strong foundation of malt underneath it all.. Glowing a deep amber color, Hops Infusion is brewed with seven types of hops. Simcoe, Magnum, Cascade, Liberty, Saaz, Fuggles and E. Kent Goldings give this beer the complexity that's so interesting. Our brewers intention on Hops Infusion was to create a complexity of hops flavor and aromas, not found in any other beer.
I picked this one up at Bruisin' Ales in Asheville. I only got the one, I wish I had picked up more.

In the picture is a bar of soap from Sacred Showers. It just seemed like a nice thing to put in the picture.

No comments: