Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Beer Review, Saranac Pale Ale

After splitting at softball, including the best defensive game between two teams... ever... 5 scoreless innings... and the customary stop at Hooters (and my friggin purchase of a pitcher due to not swinging) went home and opened a beer.

The choice last night was from the mix-6 of Saranac beers that I got from Jay on Saturday. The bottle (as you probably noticed from the title) was the Pale Ale.

While my phone isn't the greatest, the picture isn't lying too much. This one was pretty dark for a pale. I thought it looked like an amber, Kriddy said it looked like Bass (which made me think... ok, British style pale ale, not yellow-ish American like Sierra Nevada).

It had a cookie, almost biscuit-ty smell. Ok, the brits say biscuit for cookie, so I mean like biscuits and gravy biscuits, not chocolate biscuit with my tea. Although it did have the cookie smell, so it was both American and British biscuits. There wasn't very much hops in the smell (and there was room in the glass for aroma, but it wasn't really there. It felt rather thick, not quite a syrup, but more-so than I expected for a pale.

The taste was malt with a little hops bite. It was almost like a red bitter. As it warmed, it got more peppery as the hops came out. It tingled on the front of the tongue and got more bitter on the back. It was a pretty good beer, not sure if I'd go out looking for it, but if it was available, I'd probably drink one as a change.

No comments: