Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My beer cellar

Saturday, I was bored, and did something that was long overdue. I went through the basement and inventoried.

In my basement, I've got 125 different beers, and 263 total beers. Here's some of the highlights.

5 bottles of Bells Expedition
3 bottles of Dogfish Head 120
4 bottles of Dogfish Head Raison d'extra
2 bottles of Dogfish Head Worldwide Stout
a pack of the Dark Horse Stout series, One, Too, Tres, Fore, and Plead the Fifth
2 bottles of Dieu Du Ciel Peche Mortel
4 bottles of Founders Breakfast Stout '07
23 bottles of Founders Breakfast Stout '08
10 bottles of Goose Island bourbon County Stout '06
4 bottles of O'Fallon Whiskey Aged Smoked Porter (#'s 16,17,97, and 240)
14 bottles of Three Floyds Dark Lord '08
2 bottles of Three Floyds Dark Lord '07
a bottle (each) of BrewDog Paradox 001, 005, 008, 010, and 011


Most of the 263 bottles, I'll just let get older. But some are probably too old, so I should drink them soon. I count 28 bottles that should be drank somewhat soon, otherwise they might show some bad aging effects, these include some IPA's, DIPA's, wheats and some other lower alcohol beers. The hardest part with maintaining the cellar is to not give in to people who want me to open a beer. "Come on V, open a Dark Lord... you've got 14 of them!"

I did have 4 bottles of Czechvar down there, that have been there for nearly a year, that didn't show too many signs of aging, and were actually better than some Czechvar's that I've had at bars, so the conditions in my basement seem to be really condusive to aging beers.

I'm wondering if I should call my insurance agent to find out about insuring my beer for theft or fire, or if it's covered in my regular policy, as the beer is (just about) an investment now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Perhaps you shouldn't report this to your insurance agent if they also manage your health insurance. They might see all that alcohol as a potential risk.

You've got my beer cellar beat by a longshot. I've only started hording beer for about 6 months now. I probably have only 50 beers on hand and over half of those are singles.