Friday, November 7, 2008

Beer Review, Magic Hat Odd Notion Winter 08

After drinking the first glass of Founders Breakfast Stout '08 at Crane Alley last night, went back to Kriddy's and perused through the fridge.

Earlier in the day, Thad was commenting on how he really enjoyed this beer, so I was kind of looking forward to trying it.

It poured out a cloudy yellow with a thin fizzy looking white head that didn't stick around very long. It smelled sweet, and almost lager-y, with a little spice in the nose. It felt a little thin and effervescent.

My first reaction to the taste was WOW. It presented a lot of chocolate flavor to me, that Kriddy didn't notice. There was also a little sour and some bitter in it. Kriddy thought it was bitter. Later, it became more floral, and the chocolate dissipated. (It wasn't residual chocolate from the Breakfast Stout.)Thad said the taste reminded him of sitting in a cabin in the woods in winter time.

Overall it was a pretty good beer.

This morning as I contemplated it more, I thought it had the feel of a lager, with also some mead characteristics. Apparently it's a "spiced honey mead" so it only took me 8 hours to conclude that on my own.

It is currently available at Friar Tuck, and I picked it up out of the mix a six.

No comments: