Friday, November 14, 2008

Beer Review, Fantôme Brise-BonBons

Last night, after Paddy and I got done transferring our beer into secondary fermenters, I opened a Fantôme Brise-BonBons, November 13, Day of the Beer. (I guess there should be an exclamation point after the name)

This one poured out very flat. As you can see from the pic, no bubbles at all. I even got somewhat aggressive, but still not much. The ones that were there quickly dissipated. The color of it reminded me of dehydrated pee. It was a dark yellow. Paddy's glass was the first I poured and it was almost crystal clear, my glass wound up being murky from sediment, but I didn't try to stir up the sediment. It just sort of naturally settled lower.

It smelled fruity, like pineapple. It felt thin, and there wasn't very much fizz.

It tasted tart, and orange, like a pineapple-orange juice. It wasn't very bitter. Kriddy said it had a vinegar flavor to it, but I didn't get it. Of course, I think she looks for the vinegar flavor whenever something is tart.

After a couple of sips, I couldn't help but do Chipper Dave's Burp Test. It burped like I was drinking a glass of OJ. I could even feel (if that's the right word) the pulp.

It's not a horrible beer, it reminded me a little of a Goose Island Imperial IPA that I had once a few years ago, that had very strong citrus notes to it. It's definitely not the beer for everyone.

1 comment:

Dave said...

The burp test works best on hoppy beers. You need that extra bit of alpha acid to appreciate it. And also, you gotta burp thru the nose.