Friday, April 16, 2010

Revolting Cocks, Got Cock?

Today, I found out the Revolting Cocks released a new album... they did that on Tuesday, how did I not know this? Well, their twitter page hasn't been updated since their last tour back in the fall, so I guess that's part of the reason.

I'm on my second listen of the album. I wasn't necessarily thrilled listening through the first time. But, it's getting better.

If you are like me, when you think of the Revolting Cocks, the era that you probably think to most, would be the Beers, Steers, and Queers and Linger Fickin' Good era. Al, Paul, Chris, Mike, Luc, Duane, Bill... That era seemed as though the songs were a baseline, with the song thrown on top. Paul would play the riff for about 4-7 minutes, Chris would yell, Bill would look pretty, Al would be strung out... you know, the good old days.

All those guys are gone. Luc might still be around, but he's not listed on the website. Al produced this one. You (and I) may miss the old days, but RevCo is what Al says it is. If he says it's Sin Quirin, Clayton Worbeck, and Josh Bradford, then that's what RevCo is.

So, how's the new album?

Getting better.

The album kicks off sounding like Kiss, "Deuce"; with the song "Trojan Horse". It's a song, that seems to be about condoms. Nice. While I was first listening to it, I was also watching a local news channel online, when a Trojan commercial came on, so that was a sign.

Second song, "Filthy Senoritas" is catchy. It's got a sound similar to "Robo Banditos", and has tie-ins to that song.

"Dykes" is ok.

"Juice" is a rather funny song. Sounding like a German, talking about the Juice. The song sounds a bit like the Project .44 song "I Don't Care". In addition to the German talking parts, the song has a really good chorus. I can't tell if he gave the juice to his duck or his dog, probably dog. It may be my favorite on the album.

"Pissy Army" seems to be trying to get people to join the Ministry fan club, Piss Army. "Fuck Money" is a request to buy the album.

"Bitch Addictive" starts out with the line:

You're a bitch but your shoes are cool.
Thank you, I do like my shoes.

"Air Traffic Control" is possibly this album's version of "Keys to the City" where they are taking planes instead of trains. Next album will have automobiles.

"Poke-A-Hot-Ass" has the great line:

I get more ass than the catholic priest.
and

If I was an indian, I'd be Poke-A-Hot-Ass.
The release ends with a dirtier remake of the 2 Live Crew song "Me So Horny", followed by a remix of the same song. Who would have thought in 1989 that you could make the song dirtier? Way to go boys.

All in all, it's a solid album. No major flaws. Again, I'd hope for more of a power bass riff presence, but if this is what Al wants to give us, I accept it.

Did he achieve what he was going for? Yeah. It's solid. It's a fun group of guys, sounding like they are having fun playing, and having fun talking about taboo things.

It'll be interesting to see them try to work some of these songs into a concert. "Filthy Senoritas" and "Robo Banditos" medley should be fun. Also the train, plane, and motorcycle ("Stainless Steel Providers") medley can be good too. If they throw in Ministry "Jesus Built My Hotrod" they'll have most every method of transportation covered.

The album is available at the 13th Planet site. It's also available for download at Emusic, and Itunes.








No comments: