Friday, October 3, 2008

Beer Review, Russian River Supplication

After Scott and I finished Pliny the Elder, we decided to have another beer. There was quite the collection of IPA's that were sent, but since we just had one, we moved on to something different. Another of the beers from the gift box (holy crap, I called it Christmas in August, even though it was September) was Russian River Supplication.

As soon as we pulled the cork out of this thing, I smelled tart. I didn't have to move my head down, from holding the bottle at my hip, I could smell tart.

This one poured a dark golden amber, the foam was dirty, as though there was stuff in the bottom of the bottle (which there probably was from the cherries). It smelled tart. There was also cherry, sugar and sweetness in the smell.

It felt effervescent. It was so bubbly, that if you left some of it on your tongue for a while, it will completely foam out. This thing will also pucker your lips. Scott said it felt drying.

It tasted tart. If Pliny the Elder can taste bitter, this one tasted of tart. It was a citrus tart, and not very much cherry in the flavor. Scott thought it like a very dry wine. As the beer warmed, the cherry came out. It was no Unibroue Quelque Chose, for cherry, nor was it Cantillon Kriek for tart. It was a very happy middle ground. For being a tart beer, this was probably the easiest drinking tart I've had. Almost more so than even a Berliner Weiss.

Again, thanks Rob for this one. There's more in there, and I don't have to feel too guilty about drinking them without Scott there. This and Pliny were the two we most had to try.

No comments: