Saturday, November 15, 2008

Beer Review, Nørrebro Bryghus Skärgaards Porter

Headed out to Kriddy's last night, after stopping at Walmart to pick up some lightbulbs, Great Stuff Foam Sealant and some other crap. Also picked up some DVD's, The Number 23 staring Jim Carrey, and season 1 and 2 of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. If you don't watch It's Always Sunny... you probably should. FX network on Thursday nights... great show.

Well, as I sat down to watch The Number 23, I poured myself a Nørrebro Bryghus Skärgaards Porter.

This one poured dark brown, with dark brown foam, the was some pretty good head retention. It smelled chocolatey, sweet and a little like honey... wait, does honey smell? When I tried to put together what it smelled like, I thought Toblerone!

It felt a little thin and fizzy. It tasted of coffee, dark chocolate, and some honey. Wait, it is a Toblerone Dark. I had some of them left over from when I picked up some candy around halloween, (not FOR halloween). So I had a mini Toblerone Dark, with this beer. Kriddy didn't like the Toblerone (have I said "Toblerone" enough?) earlier, so she tried the beer with a Hersheys Dark.


A real porter, 6.0 % alcohol. This is our second Nordic guest brew created with Lasse Ericsson of Nynäshamns Ångbryggeri south of Stockholm, Sweden. The beer is top fermented and honey is added before fermentation, the result being a smooth and creamy black porter with gentle chocolate, coffee and nut aromas. The taste is dry, light and elegant with liquorice and dried fruit being the primary flavours. Bitterness is slight and liquorice will linger on the palate.


Ultimately, I thought this was a great beer. It went really good with the darker chocolates. I believe I picked it up at West Lakeview Liquors. It looks like I did. The beer is available there.

If you are going to be have a beer and chocolate pairing, this would be a good one to add to your list.

No comments: