Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Beer Review, Sweetwater Road Trip

After watching the Cubs win (at 7S) and then heading to Cowboy Monkey (more on that later) came home and had a Sweetwater Road Trip.

This beer came out looking like a macro. It had the yellow gold color that is so familiar with the macros. There was a little thickness in the appearance, but not too much. It smelled sweet and Pilsner-y. It felt thin and almost unnoticeable on the tongue.

It tasted tart, sour, a little off-ish but not wrong. There was some grapefruit in the taste. But not an expected grapefruit. It was like when I was a kid and we'd go visit at the grandparents. Every morning grandma would eat a grapefruit (or was it just half a grapefruit) for breakfast. As a kid, I had never had grapefruit before, and it sure looked like an orange (kinda, the skin was different and the meat was different, but the only thing I knew that was citrus was orange) so I thought, it was an orange, or a really big orange that wasn't orange. Then I took my first bite, OMG, what the hell is this, it's horrible! The first grapefruit was nasty. (Remember first smelling a beer? (something macro) Remember the first taste? eeew) This had that weird first grapefruit taste to it. As I continued to drink it, the taste got better. Oddly, it only had the grapefruit taste as I let it sit on the tongue to get more of the mouthfeel.

It wound up being a pretty decent beer. I'm not sure how many of these I'd drink, but one seemed to be the right number.

I picked this beer up at Bruisin' Ales.

Road trips are carefree adventures that usually take unexpected twists, like when we created this beer. It started out as a Pilsner recipe, but halfway through it blew a tire and Ale yeast was put on as the spare. The result was so good, it never could have been planned!

No comments: